IELTS essay sample | Should governments fund artists?
Some people think that governments should give financial support to creative artists such as painters and musicians. Others believe that creative artists should be funded by alternative sources. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
People have different views about how artists should be funded. Some people believe that the government should fund them. Others believe that they should get funding from other sources. In my opinion, the government should do what it can. Artists also need to market their work themselves.
Art is a reflection of the society. Artists make great contributions to the development of a nation’s culture. Their works represent heritage, culture and tradition. In India, for example, we can learn a lot about the glorious past of our country from the majestic palaces, temples and monuments built centuries ago. Such monuments are the work of skilled craftsmen and sculptors. From their works present and future generations can learn a lot about their country’s past. Just like the rest of us, artists are mortal but their work outlives them. In this day and age many of them are finding it difficult to earn a livelihood. If the government does not support them they will have to choose other careers.
On the flip side, there is a limit to the amount of money governments can spend for the welfare of their artists. They have to take care of more pressing needs. For instance, spending money on education, public health and infrastructure building is even more important. Nowadays nations also face great threat from terrorism. The government needs to constantly monitor criminal activities inside the country. These services are vital for a country to function properly. Creative pursuits, on the other hand, are purely recreational. There is yet another argument against government funding of artists. They are like any other professionals – they must market their work themselves and earn money.
To conclude, there are arguments both in favour of and against government funding of artists. In my opinion, artists should support themselves to the best of their ability. The government should also lend a helping hand.
- IELTS Essay: Should governments provide financial assistance to artists?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments fund higher education?
- IELTS essay sample | Government should only fund scientific research
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments support professional sporting events?
- IELTS sample essay: Are artists more popular than scientists?
- IELTS essay: Are artists valuable to society?
- IELTS sample essay: should governments provide financial assistance to writers?
- IELTS Band 7 Sample Essay: Should Governments Help the Local Film Industry
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?
- IELTS essay sample: Children now know less about their culture