IELTS essay sample | Government should only fund scientific research
The funds for postgraduate research are limited; therefore some people think that the government should provide financial support. In their opinion, only scientific research should be funded, rather than other less useful subjects. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Scientific research is more beneficial than research in other fields. Therefore, I agree with the argument that the government should fund it.
Post graduate research is becoming more and more expensive. As a result very few students are able to pursue it. If the government funds research, it will benefit a lot of scholars. Every stream of knowledge has its uses. It is therefore wrong to classify subjects as useful and less useful. However, certain subjects like science and technology have a greater impact on our lives than other subjects.
Government funds are limited and hence it is impossible for the government to fund all types of research. In this situation, a more sensible option is to fund research in useful subjects like medicine or technology. Research in these fields has the potential to change our lives for the better. For example, medical research may save lives and reduce the cost of healthcare. Likewise, research in the fields of physics or chemistry will result in better appliances and products.
On the other hand, post graduate studies in music or literature have less impact on the world. I am not saying that these subjects aren’t useful. They are useful and in many societies writers and musicians receive more respect than engineers, doctors or scientists. But when we consider the impact these professionals have on our lives, it is not hard to see that scientists or doctors are more useful than painters or musicians.
To conclude, I support the argument that government should fund postgraduate research in scientific subjects. If they have sufficient funds, they should fund other research as well. But if funds are limited, scientific research should be given greater preference.
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments fund higher education?
- IELTS essay sample: Did moon landing benefit common people?
- IELTS essay sample: Computer technology has more of a negative impact than a positive impact on the society. Do you agree?
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- Band 7 essay sample | Impact of technology
- Band 8 essay sample | Students should learn various subjects
- Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
- IELTS Essay: Technological innovations have affected our lives. Do you agree or disagree?
- Nowadays Better Communication Technologies Are Available And Hence People Can Communicate In Numerous Ways | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay writing task: Are politicians more influential than scientists?