IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
Young people are getting more influenced by friends than parents or teachers. Do you agree or disagree?
There is no denying the fact that young people are more influenced by their friends than their teachers or parents. They spend more time with their friends. It is quite natural for them to get influenced by the people they spend time with.
Parents are the biggest influence on children during the first few years of their life because young children don’t get many opportunities to interact with the world outside their family. When they begin to attend school, their friends begin to play a more important role in their life. Young children want to dress and behave like their friends.
Friends exert an even bigger influence on teenagers. Teens tend to have a rebellious streak in them. They seek freedom and hate it when parents or teachers try to impose restrictions on them. They find the company of their friends more attractive because people of the same age groups have similar needs, interests and tastes.
Parents and teachers often assume the role of advisors. They are well-meaning; unfortunately, teens hate advice. The huge generation gap between children and their parents do not help the situation either. Teenagers today have access to a lot of things that their parents didn’t have when they were young. At this age, boys and girls experience an irresistible need to fit in with their group. This need encourages them to adopt the beliefs and behaviors of their friends. Since parents and teachers do not always agree with them, they find solace in the company of their friends.
To conclude, I totally agree with the statement that young people are more influenced by their friends. However, I do not feel that this is a positive trend because friends are unlikely to have the unconditional love that parents have for their children. They also lack the worldly wisdom that parents or teachers have.
- IELTS essay: The clothing and fashion industry have a big influence on people. Is this a good or bad thing?
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?
- IELTS essay: Parents should teach children about money
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- Crime rate among teenagers is on the rise: Essays written by students with suggested corrections
- IELTS writing and speaking test in Australia – General training
- IELTS sample essay: Should children be allowed to follow their instincts?
- More IELTS essay topics
- IELTS test in India in November 2011 (Academic module)