IELTS essay about increasing air and water pollution in developing nations
In many developing countries, there is a problem with declining quality of air and water from both industry and construction. What measures could be taken to prevent this?
The increase in development activities in the developing nations has led to a decrease in the quality of air and water. This is certainly a cause for concern; however, there are several ways to mitigate the impact of development on the environment.
When nations develop, their industrial output will increase. While this is good for their economy it is not always good for the environment. In many developing nations, there are no stringent laws or mechanisms to deal with industrial waste. Factories often dump their waste into oceans and rivers causing serious environmental damage. The increase in construction activity is another problem that causes pollution. Dust and debris from construction sites pollute the air and make people susceptible to various illnesses.
Once these nations have the necessary infrastructure in place, many of these problems may resolve on their own. In the meanwhile, however, there are several things that governments and industries can do.
Governments, for example, need to formulate strict laws that make companies accountable for their carbon footprint. Hefty penalties should be imposed on the violators. In addition, the government should insist that industries clean up the waste they generate. This might require them to invest in expensive waste treatment plants. The government can make this easier for them by offering subsidies. We, the public, can also contribute our bit. By keeping our surroundings clean and planting more trees, we can combat the threat of air pollution.
To conclude, there is no denying the fact that pollution is one of the main problems that developing nations face. However, a strong political will and concerted efforts by individuals and industries can go a long way in tackling the issue.
- Band 8 essay | Should wealthy nations help poor nations?
- Band 7 essay sample | Rich nations should help poor nations
- Band 9 essay sample | The rich nations should help the poor nations
- IELTS essay sample | Free education will help fight poverty in developing nations
- IELTS model essay: Do you think that factories and tour operators should bear the cost of cleaning up pollution?
- IELTS about economic development and environmental problems
- Band 8 sample essay: Nations should cooperate with one another to solve environmental problems
- Band 7.5 essay sample: Developed nations should give financial aid to undeveloped nations
- Band 8 essay about the growing demand for fresh water resources
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Should fuel prices be increased to reduce pollution?