IELTS essay about causes of obesity
All over the world societies are facing a growing problem with obesity. Obesity affects both children and adults. What are the reasons for this rise in obesity? How can it be tackled?
Obesity is one of the biggest health problems that we face today. Obese people are more likely to develop diabetes, heart problems and strokes. Obesity affects children as well as adults. In this essay, I will explain the causes of obesity and suggest ways to tackle it.
Obesity is a byproduct of our modern lifestyle. Everybody is busy now. No one has the time or mind to cook proper meals. So we buy packaged foods that are high in calories, additives and preservatives. Many families now subsist of pizzas, burgers, chips, cheese and fish. They don’t eat fruits or vegetables.
Another cause of obesity is the sedentary lifestyle that most of us lead. Our jobs don’t require us to get physically active. After sitting for hours in front of a computer, we go home to sit many more hours in front of the television. As a result, we don’t get any opportunities to burn the calories that we consume.
The government can discourage people from eating fast foods by spreading awareness about the health problems caused by them and by increasing the taxes on them. When high taxes are imposed on packaged foods, they will become unaffordable to many people. This will reduce their consumption. Employers can also help. They should equip workplaces with gyms so that employees can work out. A quick workout will improve their energy levels and efficiency.
To conclude, obesity is a serious health problem. The only way to solve this problem is to make appropriate changes to our lifestyle. People should be encouraged to get physically active and reduce their consumption of fatty foods. The governments and the media can play an importance role in creating awareness about the ill effects of obesity.
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- IELTS Essay: Kids today are not as fit as they were in the past
- IELTS Essay: Schools don’t give enough importance to health education
- Band 9 essay sample: Why do people walk less now?
- Band 9 essay sample: Children should spend more time outdoor playing games
- IELTS essay: The quality of life in cities in worsening
- Band 8 essay sample about the impact of computer use on children
- Band 5 essay samples: People are getting fat. What are the causes of this?
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?
- IELTS essay about quality of life in cities