How to express the same idea in different ways
You should be able to express an idea in different forms. In other words, you should be good at paraphrasing. This requires an ability to change the part of speech.
Study the example given below.
- I absolutely love the garden near my school because it is beautiful and enjoyable.
The same idea can be expressed in many different ways.
Study the examples given below.
- The garden near my school is beautiful and enjoyable and that is the reason I love it.
- There is a beautiful and enjoyable garden near my house and that is a place I absolutely love.
- If the garden near my school is my favourite place, that is because it is beautiful and enjoyable.
- I absolutely love the garden near my school because of its beauty and fun.
- I enjoy the beauty and fun of the garden near my school.
- I enjoy the beauty and fun of a garden which is near my school.
- There is a garden near my school and it is beautiful and enjoyable.
As you can see, we used very different sentence structures here.
If you have a wide knowledge of word forms and structures, you can vary and improve your sentences. By using a variety of sentence patterns you can also make your writing more interesting.
- Different ways of writing a sentence
- Sentence patterns with subject complements
- Vary your vocabulary and sentence structures to get a higher band score
- Verbs complementation: what can follow a verb?
- Verbs not used in the passive
- How to use the verb prefer correctly
- Limit the use of transitional adverbs
- Comparison using as…as
- IELTS essay: People should choose a job they love. Do you agree?
- Improve your essay writing skills