How to avoid repetition of words and phrases
Repetition does not make your sentences grammatically wrong, but you should still avoid it because it makes your writing dull.
Also when you repeat words and phrases, you are showing that your range of vocabulary is limited. This will affect your band score.
Study the sentence given below. It was written by one of our students.
Also the value of money has grown in importance since industrialisation and hence I believe parents should teach children about the value of money.
This sentence is grammatically correct, but the student has repeated the phrase ‘the value of money’.
Instead of repeating the phrase, s/he could have used the pronoun ‘it’.
Study the example sentences given below. None of them repeat words or ideas.
Also the value of money has grown in importance since industrialisation and hence I believe that parents should teach children about it.
Parents should teach children about the value of money because its importance has grown in recent years.
Money has become a whole lot more important in recent years and hence parents should teach children about its value.
As you can see, there are different ways of writing a sentence. While writing your essay make a conscious effort to use a variety of sentence structures.
- How to avoid run-on sentences?
- Vary your vocabulary and sentence structures to get a higher band score
- IELTS essay: Parents should teach children about money
- Connecting sentences with conjunctions and transitional adverbs
- Using on the one hand, on the other hand
- IELTS Tips
- IELTS writing: why it is important to use different sentence patterns
- Is it Appropriate to Use Slang Words in Academic Writing?
- IELTS essay topics
- Useful connecting words