Grade A OET Letter Sample | Margaret Leon OET Letter
TIME ALLOWED: READING TIME: 5 MINUTES Task 10
WRITING TIME: 40 MINUTES
Read the case notes below and complete the writing task which follows.
Today’s Date 03.07.12
Margaret Leon 01 .08. 52
Regular patient in your General Practice
- Wants general check up, single, lives with and takes care of elderly mother.
- Father died bowel cancer aged 50.
- Had colonoscopy 3 years ago. Clear
- Does not smoke or drink
- BP 160/90 PR 70 regular
- Ht 152cm
- Wt 69 kg
- On no medication
- No known allergies
- Overweight. Advised on exercise & weight reduction.
- Borderline hypertension
- Review in 3 months
- Feeling better in part due to weight loss
- BP 140/85
- PR 70 regular
- Ht 152cm
- Wt 61 kg
- Making good progress with weight. Blood pressure within normal range
- Saw blood in the toilet bowl on two occasions after bowel motions. Depressed and very anxious.
- Believes she has bowel cancer. Trouble sleeping.
- BP 180/95 P 88 regular
- Ht 152cm Wt 50 kg
- Cardiovascular and respiratory examination normal.
- Rectal examination shows no obvious abnormalities.
- Need to investigate for bowel cancer
- Refer to gastroenterologist for assessment /colonoscopy.
- Prescribe 15 gram Alepam 1 tablet before bed.
- Advise patient this is temporary measure to ease current anxiety/sleeplessness.
- Review after BP appointment with gastroenterologist
Write a letter addressed to Dr. William Carlson, 1st Floor, Ballow Chambers, 56 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane, 4001 requesting his opinion.
In your answer:
● Expand the relevant case notes into complete sentences
● Do not use note form
● Use correct letter format
The body of your letter should be approximately 200 words. Use correct letter format.
Grade A OET letter sample
Here is a grade A OET letter on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with OET writing? Get your OET writing samples corrected by me.
Grade B OET letter sample
Dr. William Carlson
Ballow Chambers, 56 Wickham Terrace
Dear Dr. Carlson
Re: Ms. Margaret Leon; DOB: 01/08/1952
I am writing to refer Ms. Leon who needs to be investigated for bowel cancer. She requires further assessment of her symptoms and a colonoscopy.
Ms. Leon first presented to my clinic on January 14, 2012 requesting a general health checkup. She had an elevated blood pressure of 160/90 mm Hg. She was overweight and diagnosed with borderline hypertension. To improve her health, she was advised to exercise regularly and reduce weight.
Over the next three months, she made good progress with weight reduction and her blood pressure came down within normal range. She presented to my clinic on July 3, 2012, complaining of blood in stools. She was visibly depressed and anxious. Her BP was 180/95 mm Hg and her weight had reduced significantly. Her rectal examination did not show any obvious abnormalities.
Please note that Ms. Leon has a significant family history of bowel cancer. She underwent colonoscopy 3 years ago and there was nothing alarming. She does not smoke or drink and has no known allergies. She suspects that she is bowel cancer.
I would appreciate it if you could make further assessment of her symptoms and do / perform a colonoscopy to form a definite diagnosis.
If you require any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.