Grade A OET Letter Sample | Bethany Tailor
OET is the English language test for medical professionals. Here is a grade A OET letter. Case notes are given below.
READING TIME: 5 MINUTES Task 1
WRITING TIME: 40 MINUTES
Read the case notes below and complete the writing task which follows.
Hospital: St. Mary’s Public Hospital, 32 Fredrick Street, Proudhurst
Patient Details: Ms Bethany Tailor
Next of Kin: Henry Tailor (father, 65) and Barbara Tailor (mother, 58)
Admission date: 01 March 2018
Discharge date: 18 March 2018
Past medical history:
- Hypertension secondary to fibromuscular dysplasia
- Primary hypothyroidism Levothyroxine 88 mcg daily
- Unemployed, on disability allowance for schizophrenia.
- History of polysubstance abuse, mainly cocaine and alcohol. Last used cocaine 28/02/18:
- Patient self-admitted: decompensated schizophrenia
- Not compliant with medications.
- Admitted for auditory command hallucinations telling patient to harm self.
- Visual hallucinations – shadow figures with grinning faces.
- Delusion – personal connections to various political leaders.
- agitated and aggressive, responding to internal stimuli with thought blocking and latency.
- Commenced antipsychotic meds (rispoderone).
- Patient ceased reporting auditory or visual- hallucinations.
- Less disorganised thinking.
- No signs of thought blocking or latency.
Able to minimise delusions and focus on activities of daily living.
- Assess for objective signs of psychosis.
- Redirect patient from delusions.
- Ensure medical compliance.
- Help maintain behavioral control, provide therapy if possible.
- Good progress, chronic mental illness, can decompensate if not on medications or abusing
substances. Insight good, judgment fair.
- Discharge on Risperidone 4g nightly by mouth.
- Risperidone 1 milligram available twice daily p.r.n for agitation or psychosis.
- back to apartment with follow-up at Proudhurst Mental Health Clinic
Ms. Bethany Tailor is a 35-year-old patient in the psychiatric ward where you are working as a
Using the information given in the case notes, write a discharge letter to the patient’s primary care
physician, Dr. Giovanni DiCoccio, Proudhurst Family Practice, 231 Brightfield Avenue, Proudhurst
In your answer:
● Expand the relevant case notes into complete sentences
● Do not use note form
● Use correct letter format
The body of your letter should be approximately 200 words. Use correct letter format.
Here is a grade A OET letter on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with OET writing? Get your OET writing samples corrected by me.
Grade A OET letter sample
Dr. Giovanni DiCoccio
Primary Care Physician
Proudhurst Family Practice
231 Brightfield Avenue
Date: 18 March 2018
Dear Dr. Dicoccio
Re: Ms. Bethany Tailor; Age – 35 years
Your patient Ms. Bethany Tailor admitted herself for decompensated schizophrenia to the psychiatric ward of St. Mary’s Public Hospital. She is showing good progress and ready for discharge and requires follow up at your clinic.
On March 1, 2018, the day of her admission, she was experiencing auditory command and visual hallucinations along with delusion. She seemed agitated and was experiencing thought blocking and latency. During her stay, we started with antipsychotic medicine (risperidone). She had ceased reporting auditory or visual hallucinations and has not shown any signs of thought blocking or latency since March 10.
Please note that the nursing management of our hospital focused on ensuring medical compliance, maintaining behavioural control and assessment of objective signs of psychosis. As you may be aware, she has been non compliant with medications and has a history of polysubstance abuse. She has shown good progress but can decompensate if she is not on medication or starts doing drugs again.
She is on Risperidone orally (4g) with 1mg twice daily in case of agitation or psychosis. She is about to be discharged and has been advised / told to follow up at your clinic. You are requested to monitor her condition, ensure compliance of medication and avoidance of substance abuse.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.