Governments In Many Countries Have Recently Introduced Special Taxes On Sugary Foods And Beverages | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Governments in many countries have recently introduced special taxes on foods and beverages with high levels of sugar. Some think these taxes are a good idea while others disagree. Discuss both views and give you own opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me. Find essay organisation ideas and writing tips on our Youtube Channel.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
There is no doubt that diabetes is one of the common diseases found among middle aged people across the world. In order to control this, governments are taking preventive actions by introducing / through the introduction of additional taxes on food and beverages with high sugar level. Although many people believe that this an excellent step by the Government, others argue that this might not be really helpful. In this essay, I will discuss both the views and lend my support for the former one.
A large number of people believe that increasing the taxes on food and beverages will only fill government’s coffers with additional money. Additionally, paying the extra tax would increase the burden on middle class people and might even deprive them of sugary products. Furthermore, this would adversely impact the manufacturers of these products and they might have to bear heavy losses due to falling demand.
On the other hand, this step by government would discourage people from buying food and beverages with high sugar content. This is not only beneficial for adults but also for children, who are tempted by a lot of sugary items such as soft drinks and chocolates. These are the major causes of obesity and hypertension in young children. According to a recent report, increased taxes on Pepsi and Coke have decreased their sale by 30 percent as compared to the last year. Therefore, this could be helpful in controlling the increasing number of diabetic patients. In other words, this measure will do wonders for public health and help both the government and the people to reduce their spending on medical treatment.
In conclusion, though it might look like a rigid step taken by the regulating bodies, I believe, it can turn out to be extremely helpful for everyone, and will make them healthier and fitter.
- Band 9 essay sample | Children are consuming too many sugary drinks
- Over Sugar Consumption Is Unhealthy. Some People Think That Governments Should Take Responsibility To Control It | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some Governments Control The Number Of Children Someone Can Have Through Taxes | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- It seems clear that obesity in today’s society is to some extent due to the availability of fast food | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
- Some Governments Say How Many Children A Family Can Have | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay About Increasing Tax On Fast Foods
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | People Have More Responsibilities Than Paying Taxes
- Band 7 essay about increasing tax on fast foods
- IELTS essay sample | Governments should take action to ensure that people lead healthy lives
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Obesity Is Increasing Among Children