Governments In Many Countries Have Recently Introduced Special Taxes On Foods And Beverages With High Levels Of Sugar | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Governments in many countries have recently introduced special taxes on foods and beverages with high levels of sugar. Some think these taxes are a good idea while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Many food and drink items contain excessive amounts of sugar these days and hence governments have imposed extra taxes on these items. Some people agree with this change while others believe it is unnecessary. I will discuss both these views in this essay and express my opinion.
Advocates who support the idea of levying taxes on sugary food items argue that this will help to improve the health of the citizens. High prices will discourage many people from purchasing such unhealthy food items and they will be forced to opt for healthier options. Therefore, many people think additional taxes should be welcomed as they are for the welfare of the people / of the public.
On the other hand, people who are against the practice of levying extra taxes on unhealthy foods claim that it will have only a minimal impact on people’s food habits. People will eventually get used to the higher prices and may continue to consume them. This can create a double blow as people will end up saving less and still will not live a healthier lifestyle. Instead, governments can be innovative in dealing with this. The government should educate people on the importance of having healthier food habits and draw their attention towards. If there are better alternatives provided, people are able to make informed choices that are far more sustainable compared to the forceful option.
In conclusion, I strongly believe that adding taxes on food and beverages with elevated levels of sugar is completely unjustified. There are other ways such as creating awareness and promoting other alternatives, by which governments can make a positive impact on people’s eating habits.
- Governments In Many Countries Have Recently Introduced Special Taxes On Sugary Foods And Beverages | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Over Sugar Consumption Is Unhealthy. Some People Think That Governments Should Take Responsibility To Control It | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay About Increasing Tax On Fast Foods
- Band 9 essay about GM foods
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- Some Governments Control The Number Of Children Someone Can Have Through Taxes | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Rise Of Convenience Foods Has Helped People Keep Up With The Speed Of The Modern Lifestyle |Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Tax on fast foods should be increased
- In Some Countries The Average Weight Of People Is Increasing And Their Levels of Fitness Are Decreasing | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Obesity Is Increasing Among Children