Do you think people should adapt and accept the culture of the country they visit? | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is often said “when in Rome, do as the Romans do”. Do you think people should adapt and accept the culture of the country they visit? Do you think it is possible to learn a culture without learning the language?
Here is a band 8 essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Some people believe that tourists visiting another country ought to adapt to its local culture. I certainly agree with this view as following local culture shows respect towards it. Also, I believe that people can’t gain deeper understanding of foreign cultures without learning the native languages.
International tourists must accustom themselves to the culture of the country which they are visiting. When tourists adapt to the local culture of a country, it shows their respect towards that culture and the people. If local customs and traditions are not followed and adopted by overseas tourists, it can lead to friction between the tourists and locals. For instance, overseas women visiting Saudi Arabia are necessarily required to wear “Abaya”, a traditional costume for Muslim women. Women tourists can land themselves in difficulty if they do not adhere to this custom in Saudi Arabia. In short, when visitors honour the local traditions of the place they visit, they are actually saving themselves a lot of trouble.
As for the importance of learning the local language, in my opinion, it is impossible to gain deeper understanding of any culture without learning the native language. Language is not only a means of communication; it is also deeply related to the culture. In other words, language is a fundamental element of any culture. If a person lacks knowledge of a language they will be not be able to access the folklore and literature available in that language. This, in turn, will hinder their understanding of that culture. Furthermore, people are the representatives of a culture and it is impossible to understand a culture without interacting with the locals. For this purpose also a foreigner has to learn the local language. Therefore, language plays a crucial role in promoting cultural understanding.
In conclusion, foreign tourists must accept and follow the native culture of the country they visit as it is an act of paying respect to their culture. Regarding language, it is deeply connected to the culture and should definitely be learned in order to understand the culture.
- Band 9 Essay Sample | More Tourists Than Local People Visit Historical Places
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | People Traveling To Foreign Countries Should Adopt Foreign Culture
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Some People Think International Tourism Is Bad for Their Country
- Band 8 Essay Sample | The Best Way to Learn English Is to Live in an English Speaking Country
- Topic card: Describe a library that you visit
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Tourism Should Be Banned In Some Areas To Protect Culture
- Band 8 IELTS Letter Sample | Write A Letter To A Friend Who Has Invited You To Visit Their Country
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Only Tourists Visit Museums And Monuments
- IELTS topic card: Describe a country that you would like to visit
- Band 8 Sample About The Advantages And Disadvantages Of English As A Global Language