Different ways of writing a sentence
By using different sentence patterns we can express the same idea in several different ways.
Study the following sentences. They all mean the same, but they have different structures.
- Susan, who is working hard, will probably win the first prize.
- Susan will probably win the first prize because she is working hard.
- The first prize will probably be won by Susan who is working hard.
More examples are given below.
- Alice will probably be a singer because she has a golden voice.
- Alice, who has a golden voice, will probably be a singer.
- A small, pretty girl walked into the shop.
- A girl, small and pretty, walked into the shop.
- A girl, who was small and pretty, walked into the shop.
- A sharp, pointed knife was used to make the cut.
- A knife, sharp and pointed, was used to make the cut.
- A knife which was sharp and pointed was used to make the cut.
- IELTS writing tips: sentence connectors
- IELTS writing: why it is important to use different sentence patterns
- You Want To Read A Book That You Cannot Find In The Book Store In Your Area | Task 1 IELTS Letter Sample
- Joining two sentences with an adjective
- CO2 Emission Per Passenger Kilometer For Different Forms Of Transport | IELTS writing task 1 (report writing)
- Of Late There Has Been A Steady Increase In The Number Of Teenagers Having Social Problems | Agree Or Disagree IELTS Essay Sample
- 9 Tips for writing great IELTS letters
- IELTS Writing: Sample Letter
- IELTS essay writing tips
- IELTS vocabulary – note on the use of adjectives and adverbs