Developments in technology are causing environmental problems | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Developments in technology are causing environmental problems. Some think the solution is for people to adjust to a simpler life while others believe that technology itself can solve these problems. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 9 essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
There is no denying the fact that technological development has had a negative impact on the planet. Everything from the air we breathe to the food we eat is contaminated these days due to the use and abuse of various inventions of technology. For example, motor vehicles pollute the air. Pesticides contaminate the food we eat. Some people believe that the only way to reverse environmental damage caused by technology is to adopt a simple lifestyle. Others insist that technology can undo the damage caused by it. I agree with this view.
To start with, the argument that we all should now live a simpler life devoid of technology is impractical. We are so habituated to having technology in our life that it is now impossible to imagine a world without light bulbs, fans, refrigerators or computers. So, even if technology is causing considerable environmental damage it is impossible to convince people that they should stop using it.
A better solution is to invest in greener technologies that can mitigate much of the environmental damage already done. Scientists have already started working on them. For example, many trains now run on electricity. They cause much less pollution than diesel engines. Electric cars are another promising technology. It is safe to assume that in 10 or 15 years, they will completely replace cars running on fossil fuels. Likewise, greener energy sources like wind and solar may soon replace conventional energy sources like coal.
To conclude, while it is true that technology caused a great deal of damage to the environment, it is also quite capable of finding solutions to the problems it caused. As technology continues to develop, I am sure it will become cleaner and greener. Thus the argument that adopting a simple life is the only way to mitigate environmental damage does not hold much water.
- Pollution And Environmental Problems Cannot Be Avoided | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS about economic development and environmental problems
- Band 8 sample essay: Nations should cooperate with one another to solve environmental problems
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Modern Inventions Cause More Problems Than Solutions
- In the last 20 years there have been significant developments in the field of information technology | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay sample about climate change
- IELTS essay: The usage of private cars is increasing. What are the problems associated with this?
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Developed Nations Have a Greater Responsibility to Tackle Climate Change
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | In Order To Meet Growing Energy Requirements Undiscovered Places Should Be Opened Up
- IELTS essay about the depletion of natural resources