Currently, There Is A Trend Towards The Use Of Alternative Forms Of Medicines | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Currently, there is a trend towards the use of alternative forms of medicines. However, at best these medicines are ineffective and at worst they might be dangerous. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Nowadays more and more patients are turning to alternative therapies / cures / treatment options. While a group of people believe that these cures could have detrimental effects on the human body, I would assert that they pose no major risk to human health and in fact, they can treat some health problems with minimal side effects.
To begin with, there are some obvious reasons why some people reject alternative medicine. Firstly, since there is not enough research involved to scientifically prove the efficiency of these treatment plans, people who think rationally tend to refrain themselves from such treatments. Furthermore, treating an acute health ailment with these methods is not much efficient, as serious health problems need immediate attention to cure the patients. For example, diseases such as cancer and severe injuries are better treated with modern medicine.
On the other hand, alternative therapies do have some plus points. To start with, they do not cause side effects. For example, Ayurvedic cures are safe. Even if they fail to deliver immediate results, Ayurvedic medicines can provide long lasting relief from many digestive and respiratory illnesses. They can even treat diseases like arthritis and control diabetes. Acupuncture is another time tested traditional cure for treating body pain. The advantages of using alternative therapies is that they rarely lead to another disease. This is not exactly the case with modern medicine which often has very adverse side effects. Consequently, it is not uncommon for people receiving allopathic treatment for one disease to develop another disease as a side effect.
To conclude, I do not agree with the argument that alternative therapies are useless and harmful. In my opinion, there is no harm in trying out alternative treatment options as long as there is no health emergency. Of course, in the case of a medical emergency or a major illness like cancer, it is better to rely on proven treatment options available in modern medicine.
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Are Alternative Medicines Harmful?
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Traditional Medicines Are Better Than Modern Medicines
- More And More People Are Suffering From Health Problems Caused By Modern Lifestyle Which Cannot Be Cured With Modern Medicines | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Genetic Engineering Is A Dangerous Trend | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Researching And Treating Diseases Is Too Costly So It Would Be Better To Invest In Preventive Measures | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Do You Think Young Criminals Should Be Sent To Prison Or There Are Alternative Forms Of Punishment | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That It Is Necessary To Use Animals For Testing Medicines Intended For Human Use | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Prevention Is Better Than Cure | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Shopping Is Now One Of Most Popular Forms Of Leisure Activity | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Alternative and Choice