Celebrities earn more money than other professionals. Is this justified?
Celebrities such as actors and sports personalities earn a lot more than other professionals. Some people believe that this is unfair while others think that celebrities deserve to be paid more. Discuss both points of view and give your own opinion on the subject.
Famous sporting and film personalities earn a lot more money than people in other professions. Some people believe that it is unfair. Others, on the other hand, find nothing wrong with celebrities earning more. In this essay I will discuss both sides of the argument before arriving at a conclusion.
Famous personalities such as actors, singers and athletes earn insane amounts of money. In fact, celebrities are among the highest paid professionals all over world. While it might seem unfair to some people, one cannot overlook the fact that celebrities also help generate jobs and income. Major sporting events generate millions of dollars in advertising revenue. They create jobs for people involved in catering and logistics. Cities that host these events attract tourists from all over the world. In short, an international event such as Olympics or World Cup Football has the power to boost a nation’s economy. The film sector, too, provides employment to tens of thousands of people. It is also not uncommon for celebrities to make generous donations to charities.
On the other hand, most celebrities lack academic or professional qualifications. They are just cashing in on their inborn talents. Still they earn a lot of more than other professionals who studied hard for acquiring the necessary qualifications. People who are against paying huge salaries to celebrities might argue that many of them lack genuine skills and are essentially a product of our celebrity-obsessed media and culture. They believe that actors or players don’t have a great role to play in the success of a film or sporting event.
After analyzing both sides of the argument it is hard to say whether the huge salaries of celebrities are justified. Both critics and advocates seem to have plenty of arguments in support of their views. I personally believe that the salaries earned by all professionals including celebrities should be proportionate to the income they generate.
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments support professional sporting events?
- IELTS Essay: Why do people watch foreign films first, before local films?
- IELTS essay: Do you think that admiring film and sports personalities is a good idea?
- IELTS Essay: While some people like to a live sporting event, others prefer to watch it on television
- Using on the one hand, on the other hand
- IELTS sample essay: people now spend a lot of money on their wedding
- IELTS Essay: Are public celebrations a waste of money?
- IELTS essay: Do you think that moving abroad for better jobs is good?
- IELTS Essay: Should governments provide financial assistance to artists?
- IELTS sample essay: should governments provide financial assistance to writers?