Band 9 IELTS essay: Should children go to mixed schools?
Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
The advantages and disadvantages of sending children to mixed schools have always been a subject of debate. Some parents and teachers feel that mixed schools are better; others are more in favour of separating boys and girls. In my opinion, both types of schooling have their merits and demerits.
There are at least a few benefits to separating boys and girls. It is quite normal to feel attracted to members of the opposite sex. This attraction often results in distractions. By separating boys and girls distractions can be reduced to a great extent. This will make the atmosphere in the classrooms more conducive to learning. If boys and girls are taught in the same schools, the chances of boys getting hyperactive are pretty high. It is a general fact that boys commit more mischiefs when girls are around. They want to impress girls and often fail to focus on their studies. If boys are taught in boys’ schools, this situation can be avoided.
On the flip side, single sex schools do not facilitate interaction between boys and girls. As a result children taught in single sex schools often find it difficult to interact with members of the opposite sex. This can lead to awkward moments at social gatherings where they have to deal with such encounters.
I think this is the biggest disadvantage of single-sex education. Mixed schools, on the other hand, allow boys and girls to interact freely and help in the overall development of their personality. When boys and girls study together, they get to understand the skills and limitations of each other.
After analysing both sides of the argument it is not hard to see that mixed schools and single sex schools have their merits and demerits. However, in my opinion the advantages of teaching children in mixed schools outweigh the disadvantages. I hope that mixed school education will be promoted by parents and teachers.
- Band 7 essay sample: Some people believe that boys and girls should be taught in separate schools
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
- IELTS Essay: Schools don’t give enough importance to health education
- Band 7 essay samples: Should noisy and disobedient students be taught separately?
- IELTS Essay: Are schools providing specialized training better than those providing general education?
- IELTS essay written by student: Should children be encouraged to cooperate?
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Should schools teach young students to be a good parent?
- IELTS Band 7.5 Essay Samples: Money Management Skills Should Be Taught At Schools