Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people think that new houses should be built in the same style as the older houses in the local area
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on a topic that appeared in a recently held exam.
Some people think that new houses should be built in the same style as the older houses in the local area. Others disagree and say local authorities should allow people to build houses in the style of their own choice. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
People have different views on how new houses should be built. While some argue that new homes in a locality should be built to match the traditional building style of that area, others insist that house owners should be allowed to choose whatever design they like. In my opinion, the occupants of a house should have the freedom to decide how it should look.
There are definitely a few benefits to following the traditional style. It lends a classic look to the neighbourhood. Also, when all houses look the same, residents feel a sense of equality. People often build palatial homes to show off their wealth. By simply asking them to build a home that matches other homes in the locality the government can stop this audacious display of wealth.
On the flip side, there are many more benefits to building a home as per the needs and wants of its owner. To start with, homes that look alike lack character. A home is a reflection of the owner’s personality. It is a space you own and for this reason, the local authorities should allow people to decide how their homes should be built. Also, traditional buildings are not very energy efficient or comfortable. Many of them also lack modern features such as attached bathrooms or modular kitchens. In addition, adding features such as CCTV cameras or burglar alarms to a traditionally built home can be a challenge.
To conclude, while it is easy to follow the historical style of building homes, in my opinion, it is important to allow people to decide how their homes should be built because a home is much more than a place to live in. It is an extension of your personality.
- Band 7.5 IELTS report
- Band 8.5 essay sample | Apartments are better than houses
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Do Apartments Have More Advantages Than Houses?
- IELTS essay sample | Do high rise apartments make people lonely and unhappy?
- IELTS essay: Should people be allowed to build homes of whatever design and size they prefer
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Some People Believe That The Countryside Should Not Be Used For Building New Homes
- Band 9 essay sample about traditional values of older people
- Active and passive voice
- IELTS essay: Restoration of old buildings is expensive
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | The Number Of Older People Is Increasing