Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Should Governments Support Art And Artists?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay sample. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Some people believe that government money should be spent on important things than arts such as painting and music. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Whether art and artists should receive government funding has always been a topic of debate. Some people argue that the government should spend its money on more important things like health and education instead of sponsoring artists and art events. I do not quite agree with this view. In my opinion, it is important to spend on sectors like healthcare, education and infrastructure. This, however, does not mean that art and artists can be neglected.
Artists can’t save lives or build bridges, but they still contribute to the society in their own way. Music, for example, soothes the mind. Listening to music is actually the favourite pastime of busy professionals who lead extremely stressed out lives. In other words, by supporting music and musicians, the government is indirectly helping the emotional wellbeing of its people. Likewise, dancers enthrall the audience with their performance. Cultural programmes like music and dance draw a large audience and generate money. By simply organizing such events for art lovers and tourists, the government can not only help budding artists who need an avenue to showcase their talent but also generate revenue that can be used for developing other sectors.
Tourism is a major source of revenue for governments all over the world and artists have immense power to attract tourists. For example, Indian classical dances and music have always fascinated a large number of tourists. They visit the country to watch these performances and even enroll in dance and music schools here to learn the art. This is a source of revenue for the government.
To conclude, nobody is asking the government to promote arts at the expense of other sectors. Any such move would be suicidal. Instead, what the government needs to do is to earmark a small portion of its revenue for the promotion of arts. Like any other sector, arts also generate jobs and help the society on the whole.
- IELTS Essay: Should governments provide financial assistance to artists?
- Band 9 essay sample | Government should stop wasting money on arts
- IELTS essay sample | Should governments fund artists?
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments support professional sporting events?
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Artists Should Receive Government Aid
- IELTS essay: Are artists valuable to society?
- IELTS sample essay: Are artists more popular than scientists?
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools give more importance to subjects like arts, music and creating writing?
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | International Sporting Events Are A Waste Of Money And Time
- IELTS essay sample | Why are historic buildings being neglected?