Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | People Have More Responsibilities Than Paying Taxes
Most people pay taxes to contribute to the development of their country, however, some think they have other responsibilities rather than paying taxes. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Tax is the main source of revenue for the government. Therefore, some people feel that paying taxes is the biggest responsibility that citizens have towards their country. However, others disagree with this view. In their opinion, citizens have several other responsibilities too. I totally agree with them.
It is important to pay taxes because governments need money to fund various social and infrastructural projects. Therefore, by paying taxes each citizen is making a significant contribution to the development of their country. However, in my opinion, this is not enough. Just because someone pays taxes it does not necessarily mean that they are good citizens. It is also wrong to assume that all those poor people who do not pay taxes are not contributing anything to their country. There are lots of criminals who pay taxes. Their financial contribution to the economy is negligible when we consider the amount of damage they cause.
Tax is just one of the many contributions that a citizen can make. It is equally important for citizens to abide by the law, respect the social norms and help fellow citizens in need. When people obey the rules, respect others and do volunteer works they help create a harmonious society where everyone feels happy and safe.
Another contribution that both rich and poor people can make is towards the environment. If everyone maintains their surroundings clean and uses energy and other natural resources responsibly, not only their country but the whole planet will benefit. These are simple contributions that anyone can make and oftentimes these contributions are more valuable than paying taxes.
To conclude, paying taxes is just one way of contributing to the society. Being a law abiding citizen who volunteers to help whenever they can is even more important.
- IELTS essay sample | Media is paying too much attention to famous people
- Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Government Should Increase Defence Spending To Protect People
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- Band 9 Essay Sample About The Importance of Social Welfare Programmes
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Is Public Health The Responsibility Of The Government?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | People Are Buying Things They Don’t Want
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | People Who Have Traveled Abroad Are More Tolerant
- Band 7.5 essay sample | The government should ensure that people stay healthy
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | The Best Way To Motivate Employees Is To Offer Them Financial Incentives