Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Fewer schools are requiring children to learn and improve their handwriting skills. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this trend?
Fewer schools are requiring children to learn and improve their handwriting skills. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this trend?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay sample on the topic given above. Need help with improving your score in the IELTS writing module? Use my writing correction service.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
A great deal of time, effort and patience is required to develop good handwriting. In this era where most schools use tablets in the classroom, many parents and teachers believe that hand writing has lost its importance. After all when the computers do all the writing, there is no need for children to improve their handwriting. Unfortunately, this is a negative trend and schools that ignore handwriting are doing more harm than good to their students.
Writing is an art that stimulates the brain. Consequently children who write with a pen or pencil tend to have more active and smarter brains. Also when they write with their hands, they have to learn the spelling and grammar. This improves their cognitive as well as language skills. Studies have also demonstrated links between a person’s handwriting and their character. People with good handwriting tend to be more organized and successful. They also tend to possess a greater clarity of thought.
If schools and students ignore this important skill, it may not have any immediate impact on their grades. Unfortunately, these children who cannot write even a single word neatly will eventually face problems that could even hurt their career prospects. To start with, the technology that they depend on may fail them at times. If the network connection fails or their computer breaks down, their efficiency will take a severe backing. For example, many students these days cannot write a letter or draft a report if they do not have access to the internet and a computer. They don’t know the spelling of most words. They cannot write legibly. They do not have ideas either because their critical thinking skills are almost negligible. Whenever they have a question, they just search online and they don’t memorize anything.
To conclude, students can ignore handwriting only at their peril. It is a skill that will stand them in good stead throughout their lives. It is hoped that parents and teachers will realize the importance of handwriting before it gets too late.
- IELTS essay about declining handwriting skills
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computer games
- Band 9 essay sample | Watching TV does not improve the intellectual skills of children
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Advantages And Disadvantages Of Teaching Children At Home And School
- IELTS essay: Should computers be banned from the classroom?
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Schools Should Teach Good Behaviour To Children
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- IELTS Band 7.5 Essay Samples: Money Management Skills Should Be Taught At Schools
- Band 9 IELTS essay: Should children go to mixed schools?
- Band 8 essay sample | Advantages of nuclear energy outweigh disadvantages