Band 9 essay sample | Should schools teach traditional subjects like history?
Schools are spending more time teaching traditional subjects such as history. Some people think they should rather spend more time in teaching skills that can help students find a job. To what extent do you agree or disagree.
Band 9 essay sample
Traditional school curriculum gives too much importance to subjects like history or arts. Some people oppose this. In their opinion, schools should teach subjects that will improve the employability of their students. I totally agree with this view.
History is important. After all, there is no point in developing a generation of professionals who know absolutely nothing about their culture or history. However, problems arise when traditional subjects get more importance than job-oriented subjects. Learning subjects like history or literature might make a person more knowledgeable; however, these subjects do not improve the job worthiness of a student. Employers need professional degrees. It is not easy to find a job after obtaining a degree in history or arts. This is not exactly the case with science or maths graduates. Since they possess the skills required by the industry, they find jobs easily.
Everyone wants to be able to find a good job after finishing their studies. When the schools give more importance to professional or vocational subjects, students can start learning the skills required by the industry from a young age. This will improve their competence.
Unemployment figures are increasing rapidly all over the world. If we examine the unemployment situation in any country, it is not hard to see that most of the unemployed are students who lack a professional degree. When schools give more importance to subjects like maths or science, more and more students will want to enrol in professional courses when they go to university and such courses will enable them to find jobs easily.
To conclude, subjects like history or literature are important, but maths and science are even more important. After all, the ultimate goal of education is helping students to find employment. Therefore, I totally agree with the argument that schools should focus on teaching the skills that will prepare their students for the workplace.
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Schools are giving too much importance to traditional subjects like history
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools give more importance to subjects like arts, music and creating writing?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Should schools teach young students to be a good parent?
- Band 8 essay sample | Students should learn various subjects
- IELTS essay sample | Schools should teach students to become good citizens rather than independent thinkers
- IELTS Essay: Are schools providing specialized training better than those providing general education?
- Band 7 essay sample | Schools should not waste time teaching subjects like drawing
- Band 9 essay sample: Should subjects like mathematics and philosophy be optional at school?