Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
With pressure on today’s young people to succeed academically, some people believe that non-academic subjects should be removed from the syllabus so that children can concentrate wholly on academic subjects.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Band 9 essay sample
There is no denying the fact that school children are under tremendous pressure to perform well in academics. It is not surprising, though. Students who score high grades in academics are more likely to have a successful career in the future. Most schools these days have a curriculum that includes both academic and non-academic subjects. However, many parents and teachers believe that non-academic subjects should be removed from the curriculum so that children can focus on academics. This might sound logical but I do not believe that removing non-academic subjects is the solution.
To start with, non-academic activities like dance, drama, singing, cookery or physical education cause hardly any stress. In fact, they provide relaxation and help students concentrate better on academic subjects. Also, learning these subjects is essential for the overall development of children.
There are many more reasons to include non-academic subjects in the curriculum. Not all students are academically brilliant. However, this will not be an issue if the student has skills in other areas. For example, a student does not need an A grade in physics or mathematics to be a successful singer, writer or painter.
By encouraging students to engage in extra-curricular activities, schools can bring out their hidden talents. This will help not only the students but also the society. After all, not everybody is required to be a doctor or an engineer. The world needs athletes, writers, chefs and actors as well.
To conclude, there is no point is eliminating non-academic subjects from the syllabus. In my opinion, schools should encourage students to pursue a career in a field of their choice. This would not be possible without including a variety of topics in the curriculum.
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- IELTS Essay: Are schools providing specialized training better than those providing general education?
- IELTS Band 7.5 Essay Samples: Money Management Skills Should Be Taught At Schools
- IELTS Essay: Schools don’t give enough importance to health education
- Band 9 IELTS essay: Should children go to mixed schools?
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Should schools teach young students to be a good parent?
- IELTS essay written by student: Should children be encouraged to cooperate?
- Band 7 essay sample: Some people believe that boys and girls should be taught in separate schools
- IELTS Essay: Kids today are not as fit as they were in the past
- Essay: Should disobedient students be taught separately?