Band 9 essay sample | Keeping pets can cause health problems in children
Some people think that keeping pets is good for children while others think it is dangerous and unhealthy. Which opinion do you agree with? Discuss both options and give examples.
Whether to have a pet or not remains a controversial issue. While some people are against having pets, in my opinion, domestic animals have a positive impact on our physical and psychological health and wellbeing. Also they make great companions for our children.
People who are against having pets argue that playing with them can cause serious health problems in human beings especially children. Of course, there are people who keep spiders and snakes as their pets. These creatures are certainly dangerous and pose considerable threat to the life of their owners. However, the vast majority of pets do not belong to this category. Another argument against keeping pets is that they can cause skin allergies and aggravate bronchial asthma. These health concerns are real and I feel that people who are susceptible to them should stay away from animals. Animal rights activists also claim that keeping pets away from their natural habitats will affect their health and the food chain. However, in my opinion, if their owners take good care of them, keeping them at home is unlikely to have any adverse impact on their health.
While it is true that keeping a pet may have some ill effects on our health, the benefits of having one are more significant. Pets improve our mood and health. Playing with the pets or taking them for a walk will keep both children and adults fit and healthy. What’s more, most people keep dogs, cats and fish; however, serious accidents caused by pets remain rare and statistically insignificant. Last but not the least, having a pet makes children more responsible. They learn to take care of another life and also become more sensitive, caring and sympathetic.
To sum up, although there are some minor drawbacks to owning a pet, in my opinion, the advantages of having a pet are far more significant. Pets make great companions and prevent depression in children and adults.
- IELTS essay sample | Building more sports facilities is the best way to improve public health
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Health problems caused by obesity and possible solutions
- IELTS essay sample | Are computer games bad for children?
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- Letter topic found in India: Letter to friend asking her to babysit your kids
- Band 9 essay sample: Children should spend more time outdoor playing games
- IELTS essay sample: Advertisements targeting young children should be banned
- IELTS Essay: Is it good for children to be brought up by their grandparents?
- IELTS Essay: Schools don’t give enough importance to health education
- IELTS about economic development and environmental problems