Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
IELTS essay topic
It is very clear now that English should be the primary foreign language taught in all schools around the world. Learning a different foreign language before English, in today’s world, is a waste of time.
Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Sample band 9 essay
English is the most widely spoken language in the world. In fact, the number of people who learn and speak English as a second language is greater than the number of people whose first language is English. Other international languages like Spanish, French, Mandarin and Hindi are also taught in many parts of the world. However, in my opinion, learning another foreign language before English is not worth our time or effort.
There are several benefits to learning English. People all over the world understand English. If you know English, you can travel to any country in the world. The huge popularity of the internet has also made learning English a necessity. Most information available on the internet is in English. A person who understands English can access the whole of this information.
Over the years, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people who travel or study abroad. English is the language they use to communicate with others. Students who can speak and write English have better job opportunities than those who do not understand English. All of these make learning English imperative.
A language is the reflection of a culture. When we learn a foreign language, we get to know that culture. That probably explains why other international languages are also taught in schools and colleges. However, I see absolutely no justification for learning Spanish or German instead of English. Although these are all well-developed languages spoken by millions of people, they are much less influential than English.
In conclusion, it is evident that learning English is more beneficial than learning another foreign language. In my opinion, if a student plans to learn only one foreign language, then it has to be English.
- Band 9 essay sample: Online learning is better than classroom learning. Do you agree?
- 4 Essential Tips For Listening Comprehension
- How to improve your band score?
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Speaking?
- IELTS essay: More people are traveling than before. Why is this?
- Cue card: Talk about a subject that you didn’t like learning at school
- Band 7 essay samples: It is better to study abroad
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?
- IELTS essay: Is television a better source of information than traveling?
- IELTS Band 7 Sample Essay: Should Governments Help the Local Film Industry