Band 9 essay sample | Government should stop wasting money on arts
IELTS essay topic
Some People think that the government is wasting money on the arts and that this money could be better spent elsewhere. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Band 9 essay sample
Governments all over the world are grappling with problems like rising unemployment and growing threats of terrorism. Poverty is still a major issue in many countries in Asia, Latin America and Africa. In such a scenario, the argument that the government should stop wasting money on arts might sound logical. However, in my opinion, arts do have a place in the society. While I don’t think that the government should waste a lot of money on arts, it should at least adopt a benevolent attitude towards arts and artists.
Contrary to popular belief, arts are not a waste of time. In fact, they are also an industry with great potential to generate money. Performance arts, for instance, enjoy considerable following. A music concert or a dance show featuring an accomplished singer or dancer can create a lot of jobs. Arts can also help sell a country as a tourist destination. For example, the Indian government actively uses traditional arts forms to promote tourism in the country. India’s classical dance forms like Bharatanatyam and Kathakali have enthralled audience all over of the world and attract thousands of international tourists to the nation. The influx of tourists creates jobs and helps the local economy.
Paintings and sculptures also have huge commercial value. Millions of people visit museums in Spain, Italy and Holland to admire the works of masters like Vincent Van Gog, Picasso and Salvador Daly. While these artists are no longer around, their timeless works are still earning a lot of money for their countries. Nations that promote their ethic arts and crafts also tend to enjoy good reputation overseas.
To conclude, while it is true that spending money on imparting education and building infrastructure is more important than promoting arts, in my opinion, the government should still do whatever it can to promote and sustain arts. Art forms, especially those that have a huge following, benefit the national economy in many ways.
- IELTS Essay: Should governments provide financial assistance to artists?
- Band 9 essay sample | Government should give money to homeless people
- IELTS essay sample | Should government ask media to stop reporting violence?
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools give more importance to subjects like arts, music and creating writing?
- IELTS essay sample | Should governments fund artists?
- Celebrities earn more money than other professionals. Is this justified?
- IELTS essay sample | Should the governments spend a lot of money on developing internet infrastructure?
- IELTS essay sample | Spending money on preventing illnesses is better than spending it on treating them
- IELTS essay sample | Government interference in school syllabi
- IELTS band 7 essay sample: Celebrities earn more money than other professionals