Band 9 essay sample about increasing tax on food items
In some countries an increasing number of people are suffering from health problems as a result of eating too much fast food. It is therefore necessary for governments to impose a higher tax on this kind of food. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
It is evident that excessive consumption of fast foods on a prolonged basis leads to several health problems. Some people, therefore, argue that the government should increase the tax on fast foods to reduce their consumption. In my opinion, this measure is neither efficient nor practical.
Imposing a higher tax on fast food will only marginally affect its consumption. Fast food consumption is particularly common among the rich. Price is of little concern to them. They prefer it because they put convenience before health. Nowadays most people are busy and as a result, they don’t have the time or patience to cook a proper meal. Fast food companies cater to this segment. Even if the government increases the tax on junk foods, they will continue to consume them. On the other hand, some people choose fast food because they have no alternative. Many people living in large cities away from their families do not have access to healthy home food. Expensive restaurants too are way beyond their reach. So, most of them subsist on fast food. If higher tax is imposed on these food items, it will make them unaffordable to many poor people. This will lead to more problems.
Instead of increasing the tax on fast food, the government should make healthy food more affordable and create awareness about the ill effects of junk food consumption. It can rope in celebrities and media personalities for promoting healthy eating habits. If the government exerts too much interference in the market, it will only hurt the local economy.
To conclude, to cope with the dangers caused by the excessive consumption of fast food, the government should focus on promoting a healthy lifestyle, rather than simply charging a higher tax on fast food.
- Band 7 essay about increasing tax on fast foods
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food
- Band 9 essay sample | Tax on fast foods should be increased
- IELTS essay sample | Fast foods are bad. Do you agree?
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Health problems caused by obesity and possible solutions
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Eating home-cooked food is better than eating out
- IELTS essay about causes of obesity
- IELTS Essay: Schools don’t give enough importance to health education
- IELTS Essay: Kids today are not as fit as they were in the past