Band 9 essay about the huge salaries of sports people
Successful sports professionals can earn a great deal more money than people in other important professions. Some people think this is fully justified while others think it is unfair.
Discus both these views and give your own opinion.
Give reason for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.
Here is a sample essay
Compared to other professionals, sportsmen earn a lot more money. Some people believe that this is unfair; however, in my opinion, it is justified. I believe that a person’s salary should reflect the amount of money they can generate.
International sporting events attract a global audience and help generate a lot of money and jobs. These events are huge commercial successes. They also boost tourism. In fact, the city that hosts an international event like Olympics or World Cup Football gains international recognition. Its infrastructure gets a tremendous boost and thus its standard of living improves.
Success of major sporting events hinges upon the performance of internationally acclaimed sportsmen and women. Since their participation is crucial to the success of these events, I believe that their exorbitant salaries are justified.
Of course, I admit the fact that a doctor or a teacher is more useful to the society than a swimmer or a sprinter. Still, people pursuing these professions earn much less money than sports people. In my opinion, this is a case of supply exceeding demand. There are plenty of doctors, engineers and advocates. By contrast, there aren’t many internationally acclaimed sports personalities. For example, there is only one Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps. Likewise, there is only one Serena Williams or Lionel Messi. Obviously, they earn a lot more than a doctor or an attorney. Actually, they earn a lot more than other less successful sports people.
To conclude, the amount of money that a sportsman or sportswoman earns is a direct reflection of their potential to generate money. Successful sportsmen not only earn money for themselves; they also help generate jobs and money. Therefore, I believe that their higher salaries are justified.
- Celebrities earn more money than other professionals. Is this justified?
- Band 8.5 essay sample | Should governments spend money for training sports people?
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments support professional sporting events?
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports is a waste of time
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- IELTS Essay: Sport is becoming a business. Is this a positive development?
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events
- IELTS Essay: While some people like to a live sporting event, others prefer to watch it on television
- Band 9 essay sample | Children should be banned from participating in sporting events
- IELTS essay: Do sportsmen make great role models?