Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Single Sex Schools Vs Co-Ed Schools
This band 8 IELTS essay sample was submitted by one of our students. Send us your IELTS essays, letters and reports for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis for a fee.
Some people feel that children should be educated in single sex schools; others argue that mixed schools are better. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Education plays an important role in everyone’s life. Some countries have single-sex schools while others have both single-sex and co-educational schools. In my opinion, it is up to the parents to decide which model is ideal for their children.
It is believed that there is less room for distraction in single-sex schools. As a result, students focus on their studies with all their attention. Gender based prejudices do not exist in single sex schools and students can pursue whatever subject they like without any inhibitions. For example, girls in single sex schools tend to pursue science at a higher level. Similarly, boys at single-sex schools are more likely to take cookery classes or learn a language, despite the fact that these are often thought of as traditional subjects for girls.
On the other hand, mixed schools prepare their students for future life where both genders need to co-exist, be it at home, university or office. Boys and girls learn to live and work together from a younger age and are emotionally mature in their relations with their opposite sex. They also happen to learn from each other and may pick up some new skills or traits. Developing mutual respect for one another is another positive. They are also sensitive in their dealings with members of the opposite sex.
I think that both models of schooling have their merits and demerits. It depends on the institute and how well a child adapts to his or her surroundings. Parents play the most crucial role here because ultimately it is their decision.
- Band 9 IELTS essay: Should children go to mixed schools?
- Band 8 essay sample | Boys and girls should be taught in separate schools
- Band 7 essay sample: Some people believe that boys and girls should be taught in separate schools
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Should schools teach young students to be a good parent?
- IELTS essay sample | Private schools should be banned
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- IELTS Essay: Are schools providing specialized training better than those providing general education?
- Band 8 essay sample | School is the place to learn social values