Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Increasing The Price Of Petrol Is The Best Solution For Traffic Congestion And Air Pollution
This band 8 IELTS essay sample was submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective?
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Traffic congestion and pollution have become major problems worldwide. Pollution is particularly worse in big cities. Already several suggestions are being put forward to solve this. One of them is to augment the price of fuel. However, I believe that there are plenty of other more effective solutions.
Raising the price of fuel is a short term measure. While this might reduce the number of vehicles on the road, it is largely a negative decision because it affects not only the use of motor vehicles, but also the price of food and other goods. In Chile, my home country, everything relies on transport, so the price of petrol has a big domino impact on what people end up paying even for a slice of bread.
More creative solutions that will work In the long run are what we need to face these issues. For example, increasing the investment in alternative fuels and improving public transport are some of the ideas that I think will reduce the usage of private transport and consequently air pollution. Individual initiatives like sharing rides are also good ideas. In one of my favourite cities, Amsterdam, this problem is being tackled by investing in excellent infrastructure for bikes, so cycling has increased, cars are banned from the city centre and people have found alternative means of transport.
To conclude, the rising population and the worsening air quality have made it imperative for governments and individuals to adopt change and reduce the use of private transport. I am certain that there are better and more effective solutions to solve traffic problems than increasing petrol price.
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Increasing Tax On Private Vehicles Will Reduce Traffic Congestion
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Should fuel prices be increased to reduce pollution?
- IELTS essay: The usage of private cars is increasing. What are the problems associated with this?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | In Order To Solve Traffic Problems People Should Live In Cities
- Band 9 essay sample: How to reduce the number of cars on the road
- IELTS essay sample | Why do people buy cars
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- IELTS essay sample | Consequences of overpopulation in urban areas
- Band 8 essay sample about increasing the minimum age for driving
- Band 8 essay sample about excessive use of cars