Band 8 Essay Sample | Unpaid Community Service Should Be Part Of High School Curriculum
The following is an essay submitted by one of our students.
Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programmes (for example working for a charity, improving the neighbourhood or teaching sports to younger children).
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Band 8 essay sample
School education plays a crucial role in shaping us as individuals. Many people believe that free social work should be mandatory for high school students. In my opinion, including this as a part of the school curriculum would certainly be a step in the right direction.
Students pick up good values and habits during their school years. When they grow up, these values go a long way in moulding them into responsible adults. If social work is made mandatory just like other subjects and activities in school, they will learn the importance of living together and giving back to the society. It teaches them to share what they have with others, for the greater good. They learn to be more tolerant.
When students step outside of their schools and colleges, they get busy in building a career and making a living. They weigh everything with money. If there is a previous exposure to social community work in their early years of education, chances are they will be more grounded and not be tied down by the materialistic worldly things.
Furthermore, people who learn these values in their childhood are inclined to do a lot of charitable work when they grow up to be successful professionals. For example, one of my friends, who happens to be a lawyer, does a lot of pro bono cases to help people who don’t have the money to pay for her services. As a child, she grew up in a house where everyone dedicated one day of their work week to voluntary public service.
To sum it up, unpaid community service will not only benefits students on an individual level but also help solve many problems in the society.
- Band 7 essay sample about compulsory community service for high school students
- Band 9 essay sample | Unpaid community work must be compulsory for school children
- Band 8 essay sample | School is the place to learn social values
- IELTS Band 7.5 Essay Samples: Money Management Skills Should Be Taught At Schools
- IELTS essay sample | Money management should be taught at school
- Some students take a year off between school and university | IELTS essay sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should subjects like mathematics and philosophy be optional at school?
- IELTS essay sample | Government interference in school syllabi