Band 8 essay sample | Students should learn various subjects
In most universities students focus on specialized subjects, however some people believe that universities should encourage students to study a wide spectrum of subjects. To what extent you agree or disagree? Give your opinion.
Nowadays, many universities require students to choose specialised subjects for their studies. Some people believe that this is a faulty approach. In their opinion, educational institutes should encourage students to study a variety of subjects. I agree with this view.
Universities should promote all subjects and explain how students can improve their career prospects by learning various subjects. Not all students are supposed to become doctors or engineers. The society needs people possessing various skills. There is yet another dimension to this. When several students learn a particular subject, the demand for that subject will eventually decrease. For example, if everyone opted for computer science, students completing that course will find it difficult to get jobs. In such a situation, the demand for other subjects will increase.
When students learn various subjects instead of focusing on one subject, they will be able to address the needs of the society. This, in turn, will help the growth of the economy.
On the other hand, if everyone studied the same subject, they all would find job in the same industry. Any global economic crisis in that sector will ruin their future and affect the growth of the nation. For example, in India most students prefer to study computer engineering. As a result, software engineers are a dime a dozen in the country. Many of them are struggling to find employment because the supply exceeds the demand. Worse still, a crisis in the IT industry affects all of them and the economy of the nation.
To conclude, the subjects that students learn should not only support their individual growth but also help the development of the nation. Therefore, universities should promote all subjects instead of a handful of prestigious subjects.
- Band 7 essay sample
- Band 9 essay sample: Should subjects like mathematics and philosophy be optional at school?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- Cue card: Talk about a subject that you didn’t like learning at school
- IELTS essay sample | Schools should teach students to become good citizens rather than independent thinkers
- IELTS Essay: Some believe that students who fear their teachers excel academically…
- IELTS Model Essay
- IELTS essay: Are artists valuable to society?
- Should governments be held responsible for unemployment?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students participate in international student exchange programs?