Band 8 essay sample | School is the place to learn social values
Some people think that parents should teach children to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to good behaviour and manners. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
The following is an essay submitted by one of our students.
Over the last few decades there has been much debate on the issue of whether school is the only place to learn social skills and responsibility. Some people argue that parents should teach children to be well-behaving individuals. However, others believe that school is best place to learn good behaviour and manners. In my opinion, both parents and teachers have an important role in raising good children.
The fact that parents are the original mentors of children is clear. As a result they can have enormous influence on their children’s behavior. What’s more, family is the fundamental unit of the society. Recent studies have convincingly shown that children learn family values unconsciously. So, if parents behave well, children will also behave well. The opposite is also true. Most parents already recognize this. They understand that they have an important role in bringing up good citizens.
Teachers also have an important role in shaping up the character and personality of a child. I don’t agree with the argument that school is the only place to learn character and values. Home is equally important. It is the first place where a child gets to interact with other members of the society.
Because of this reason, the lessons and the skills that a child learn from school during the formative years of her life will have profound impact on her personality and character. When children interact with other children, they learn the importance of cooperation and compromise. They learn to adjust. They learn to accept success and defeat. In fact, learning social skills and values in the company of others of the same age is easier.
To conclude, children have a lot to learn from home and school and both parents and teachers are crucial to their all round development. In my opinion, both parents and teachers have equal responsibilities for shaping the character of children.
- IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
- Band 9 essay sample | Unpaid community work must be compulsory for school children
- IELTS Band 7.5 Essay Samples: Money Management Skills Should Be Taught At Schools
- Sample essay: Can scientists detect criminal tendencies in a child by mapping his brain at age 3?
- IELTS model essay: Are social skills more important than academic skills?
- Band 9 essay sample | Children are getting into crime because of the lack of emotional support from parents and teachers
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- IELTS essay about lack of discipline among youngsters
- IELTS essay sample | Are social skills becoming more important than academic skills?
- IELTS Essay: Is it good for children to be brought up by their grandparents?