Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Governments Should No Spend Money On International Aid When They Have Their Own Disadvantaged People
Here is a band 8.5 essay sample submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Some people believe that the government should not spend money on international aid when they have their own disadvantaged people like homeless and unemployed. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
Over the last 100 years, population has grown at an exponential rate across many countries in the world. This brings along with it its own problems such as poverty, illiteracy, unemployment and so on. Many governments allocate huge resources to tackle these problems. Since all governments have problems to solve in their own countries, I agree with the argument that their first priority should be their own people.
There are ample reasons why I believe that the government should put the welfare of its own people ahead of others. To begin with, financial resources are becoming scarce and many countries are already in debt. These funds must be reserved for the development and maintenance of its own institutions and social security measures such as free health care and shelters for homeless people. Secondly, such welfare schemes not only elevate people out of poverty; they also help the government indirectly by creating jobs. This, in turn, facilitates the economic growth of the country.
On the other hand, it is understandable and reasonable to donate money to the poorer nations as a gesture of basic human decency and humanity. No nation, after all, can live in prosperity when its neighbours are struggling with poverty. By offering financial assistance to their poor neighbours, countries can also put a curb on illegal immigration. Even so, in my opinion, solving problems in one’s own country is more important than venturing to help others. Others should be helped only when the donating country has a surplus of money and resources.
In conclusion, there are obvious benefits for the government in the long run from donating money as relief aids to many foreign countries. However, I strongly iterate that the government must first improve the economic, financial and employment prospects of its own people before embarking on humanitarian work abroad.
- Band 8.5 essay sample | Should governments spend money for training sports people?
- IELTS essay sample | Should the governments spend a lot of money on developing internet infrastructure?
- IELTS essay topic | Countries should not spend too much money on training athletes for international events
- Should governments be held responsible for unemployment?
- Band 9 essay sample | Should governments provide weekly financial assistance to the jobless?
- IELTS essay sample | Should governments fund artists?
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | International Sporting Events Are A Waste Of Money And Time
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Should People Spend Their Money Or Save It?
- IELTS sample essay: people now spend a lot of money on their wedding
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?