Band 7 Essay Sample | Advantages And Disadvantages of Hosting International Sporting Events
This band 7 IELTS essay was submitted by one of our students. Note that all band score estimates are approximate.
Many people think hosting an international sporting event is beneficial to a country, while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
You should spend about 40 minutes on this essay writing task and write at least 250 words.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
A lot of people believe that organizing a global sports event is very useful to the hosting country. Although some may argue that expending money on such events is a waste, I strongly believe that any country will economically benefit from hosting them.
It’s well known that in order to set up an international sports event a large sum of money is required to be spent. Some people find this totally unworthy. That is because they are convinced that these amounts of cash should be spent on developing the country’s infrastructure and improving national public services like education, health and transportation. For instance, major sporting events like the world football cup or the Olympics are only organized in developed countries because they have the funds to do so unlike third world countries who can’t use their already limited resources to host such luxurious events. Instead, their governments will use the money on projects that will benefit the citizens. However, this essay disagrees with that view because any nation will gain from the exposure and tourism resulting from having such mega-sporting incidents.
On the other hand, some individuals support the idea of hosting these kinds of events simply because the country will be a touristic attraction. Many sports fans will travel from all over the world to attend which consequently will nurture the country’s economy through tourism and entertainment. For example: the London 2012 Olympics drew in thousands of sports lovers which ultimately made the country benefit a lot in terms of employing large number of people and receiving big number of revenues from selling tickets. For these reasons, this essay completely agrees that hosting worldwide sports occasions will be so rewarding.
In conclusion, despite the fact that organizing high profile athletic events needs a huge sum of money, they benefit the host nation economically and politically.
Writing correction service
Would you like to use our writing correction service? Detailed explanations of your mistakes will be provided with tips to improve your score. You can find more about our IELTS writing correction service here.
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments support professional sporting events?
- Band 9 essay sample | Children should be banned from participating in sporting events
- Band 9 essay sample | Multinational companies benefit from sponsoring sporting events
- IELTS Essay: While some people like to a live sporting event, others prefer to watch it on television
- IELTS essay topic | Countries should not spend too much money on training athletes for international events
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports is a waste of time
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of globalisation
- Band 6.5 essay sample about the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear energy
- Band 9 essay about the huge salaries of sports people