Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | The Effective Way To Reduce Industrial Pollution Is To Tax The Companies That Cause Them
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay sample submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Some people think that the effective way to reduce industrial pollution is to tax the companies which cause them. Others think that there are better ways to do so. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Some people think that imposing more tax on companies which contribute to the increase in the pollution will force them to reduce their negative footprints on the environment. Other people believe that there are more viable methods to encourage companies to decrease their pollution. In my opinion, there are many possible ways to motivate firms to reduce their negative / damaging impact on the environment instead of applying more taxes.
Admittedly, imposing additional taxes on companies that contribute to the industrial pollution might force them to reduce carbon emission or waste produced by their operations. They might consider ways to reduce their pollution; nevertheless, this will be limited to meeting certain standards stipulated / imposed by the authorities.
On the other hand, people usually act more positively towards incentives and rewards. In other words, if governments grant more incentives to companies that reduce pollution, then these companies will strive to take serious steps to decrease their negative impact and gain rewards .Authorities can motivate companies by many ways. First, certain tax reduction scheme can be granted to firms that decrease their pollution to below the industrial standard. For example, the corporate income tax in Turkey is around 35%; however, if a company uses a certain technology to reduce its carbon footprints, then this company will be eligible for tax reduction. Second, the government should consider granting loans at a discounted rate to companies that reduce toxins produced by their operations. This approach has proven its success in many counties like Japan and Taiwan. Another motivation for companies to reduce their pollution is to encourage them to benefit from their waste. For instance, in Turkey, firms that invest in technology to convert waste to energy are compensated by the authority as all the electricity produced from waste will be bought by the government at a high price.
In conclusion, I believe penalties might force companies to meet the minimum pollution standard; however, granting incentives and rewards schemes will encourage companies to be more innovative and reduce their industrial pollution to limits less than the set standards.
- IELTS essay about increasing air and water pollution in developing nations
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Restricting Air Travel Is The Only Way To Reduce Air Pollution
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Government Should Reduce Pollution and Improve Housing to Prevent People from Falling Ill
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Should fuel prices be increased to reduce pollution?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?
- IELTS essay: Performance based pay packets encourage employees to work harder. Do you agree?
- IELTS model essay: Do you think that factories and tour operators should bear the cost of cleaning up pollution?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Increasing The Price Of Petrol Is The Best Solution For Traffic Congestion And Air Pollution
- Band 9 essay sample: How to reduce the number of cars on the road
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample About Air Travel And Air Pollution