Band 7.5 essay sample | Health problems caused by obesity and possible solutions
The number of people who are at risk of serious health problems due to being overweight is increasing. What is the reason for the growth in overweight people in society? How can this problem be solved?
The following is an essay submitted by one of our readers.
It is argued that obesity is increasing among young people putting them at serious risk of several health problems. One of the main reasons for the rise in overweight people is the easy and cheap access to high-calorie foods, such as fast foods and snacks. This can be solved by offering cheaper, healthy alternatives for people to consume.
Firstly, the reason for the increase in overweight people can be blamed on the easy access to unhealthy, high-calorie foods. Aisles in a supermarket are filled with snacks and it is possible to find a fast food restaurant at every street corner in a busy city. This makes it very convenient for people to find and consume large amounts of unhealthy calories which quickly add up and result in weight gain. Secondly, the aforementioned foods are often very cheap compared to the alternatives. For instance, a burger menu, including the drink and chips, can be less expensive than a low-calorie, nutritious salad. People care about their money, so most of the time they opt for the cheaper option, even if it is not as healthy for their bodies.
These problems can be fixed if the government, fast food brands and restaurants work together to promote and support healthy eating while offering better alternatives to the society. The fast food restaurants must offer cheap and healthy options with their products and on their menus. The government can regulate this and implement a limit on the amount of fast food restaurants that can be opened in a specific area.
In conclusion, if access to low-cost, healthy alternatives is made easy by the rules and regulations of the government and changes within the fast food brands, it will effectively reduce the number of overweight people in the society.
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- IELTS essay about causes of obesity
- IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food
- IELTS essay about anorexia, its causes and possible solutions
- IELTS essay sample | Governments should take action to ensure that people lead healthy lives
- IELTS essay sample | Fast foods are bad. Do you agree?
- IELTS speaking: practice questions with answers
- IELTS Essay: Schools don’t give enough importance to health education
- IELTS essay sample: Advertisements targeting young children should be banned
- Band 7 essay sample about the adverse effects of modernism