Band 6.5 essay sample about the goals of a government
IELTS essay topic
Many governments think that economic progress is their most important goal. Some people, however, think that other types of progress are equally important for a country.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Band 6.5 essay sample
There are varying views among people about the duties of a government. It is argued that economic growth should be a government’s utmost priority, whilst others believe that other types of improvement are equally valuable. This essay agrees that other categories of development are equally important to economic growth.
Firstly, economic development means a better standard of living for the people. The government can have the spending prowess to improve its services to the people like healthcare, education and transportation. Furthermore, it attracts foreign investors to finance businesses and thus it generates employment opportunities to people. For example, government agencies will be able to build more educational institutions allowing their people to have the necessary skills to land a job. This in return will give a nation enough workforce to support upcoming businesses from international corporations.
On the other hand, relying solely on economic growth as a measuring stick of a nation’s progress can be deceiving. This is because a country may increase their gross domestic capacity but at the same the inflation rate could be increasing. The gap between rich and poor are already widening. Therefore, a county’s leaders must also focus on other attributes of development like social justice, gender equality and human rights. This will allow marginalised people in the society to feel treated fairly by the government. For instance, in China, considered an economic powerhouse second to the US, they have a dissatisfaction rating of around 58% among their people. This is largely due to the widening of social classes and human rights violations present in their country.
Overall, government leaders should listen to their people and adjust to their needs. Cooperation of both authorities and its people may address conflicting views on what should be the important objective of a government. I believe that economic prosperity as well as other areas of development should be balanced uniformly in terms of government priority.
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- IELTS essay sample | Economic growth is the measure of a nation’s development
- Band 7.5 essay sample | More young people now occupy positions in the government
- IELTS essay sample | Government should increase tax in air travel
- IELTS about economic development and environmental problems
- Band 7 essay samples: Flights have become cheaper. Is this a positive development?
- Band 7.5 essay sample: Developed nations should give financial aid to undeveloped nations
- IELTS essay about government taking measures to improve people’s health
- IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay about financial assistance to poor nations