Accident and acclaim | IELTS vocabulary
Accident can mean chance, luck, good fortune, fortuity etc.
- Columbus discovered America by chance.
- He became an artist by accident.
Accident can also mean crash, collision, mishap, piece of misfortune etc.
- He died in a car accident.
- People rushed to the scene of accident.
Accidental can mean unplanned, unintentional, uncalculated, unforeseen, unexpected, fortuitous etc.
- Our meeting was purely accidental.
To acclaim is to praise, cheer, hail, laud, extol, exalt, honour or celebrate.
- Critics acclaimed his latest book.
- Her performance was widely acclaimed.
As a noun, acclaim means approval, acclamation, rejoicing and similar ideas.
- The new project was greeted with acclaim.
Acclaim antonyms: criticize, denounce, condemn, disapprove etc.
Acclamation can mean ovation, cheering, shout of approval, plaudits, tribute etc.
- The performers received an acclamation from the crowd.