Access | IELTS Vocabulary
Access is a way of getting to someone or something.
- Millions of people still do not have access to potable water.
- How the thief gained access to the vault is a mystery.
- He has access to some cabinet ministers.
If someone or something is accessible, they are available, reachable, attainable etc.
- A politician must be accessible to people.
- The professor was always accessible to his students.
Note that accessible ends in –ible.
An accessory is an addition, attachment, extension or supplement.
- The auditorium is a great accessory to the school.
- The necklace makes a lovely accessory to your dress.
An accessory can also be an accomplice or partner in crime.
- The police alleged that the gunman was an accessory in the bank robbery.
Access and excess
These words are often confused.
- When you have access to something, you have a way of getting to it.
Excess is a surplus.
- Exercise will take care of your excess weight.
- If you have access to a computer and an internet connection, you can work as a freelancer.
- IELTS Vocabulary Exercise 1
- IELTS vocabulary test
- Words commonly confused
- Improve your vocabulary
- IELTS essays: vocabulary tips
- IELTS Vocabulary List
- IELTS essay: The clothing and fashion industry have a big influence on people. Is this a good or bad thing?
- IELTS essay: Why is the crime rate increasing?