Academic word list – Analyse / analyze
All the words given in these lessons are taken from the Academic Word List which contains the 570 most frequently used words in academic tests. Learning these academic words is essential to pass major tests like TOEFL and IELTS.
The academic word list is divided into 10 groups, of these the words in the 1st group are the most important ones.
The verb analyse / analyze appears in the academic word list. It is in the 1st group. That means it is very important.
Analyze (US) (verb) / Analyse (mainly GB)
Different forms of the word analyze: analyzed; analyzing; analysis; analyst; analytical
To analyze is to study or examine something in detail in order to understand or explain it.
- Scientists analyzed samples of soil taken from the area. (US)
- Scientists analysed samples of soil taken from the area. (GB)
- I am trying to analyze him. (= I am trying to understand his thoughts, feelings etc.)
Analysis is the process of studying something in detail in order to understand it. Usually used with of.
- The committee made an analysis of the law-and-order situation.
- The samples have been sent for forensic analysis.
An analyst is a person who analyzes.
- He is a political analyst.
- We must make an analytical study of the forces at work.
It would be great if you can add some vocabulary exercises.
By the way, I like your blog, especially the section on English Writing.
We will be adding vocabulary exercises in the coming weeks. Glad to know that you love our blog.