Children have more and more tests and exams at school, sometimes starting from the age of five or six right up until the age of 18. What are the advantages and disadvantages of making children do exams?
Here is a band 7 essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
An examination is the primary way to gauge the ability of a student in modern day society and primary and secondary schools are highly reliant on this approach. While exams help to build competitive spirit in the students and assess themselves, it can sometimes be stressful, which can lead to different health-related issues.
Students can develop a sense of competition by writing exams. When a test is conducted, results are given at the end and these results help them understand their position in the class. If they are in the bottom half, they tend to improve to achieve higher marks. As per the study, surprise tests in primary schools are proven to be the best method to motivate children to perform better in the annual examination. Besides, it helps students prepare for life outside of school. As a society today is full of competition, these methods can help them face life with more confidence.
However, this approach may create pressure on the brain and depression among students. If slow learners are not able to score well in the test, then it will pressurize them to perform well, causing stress on their brain activity. Moreover, this method of evaluation may lead to a depression state. For instance, a student in Delhi, who scored fewer marks in 10 board exam tried to commit suicide due to constant pressure from his parents to score high grades, which he was not able to. Also, sometimes this method of evaluation may be unfair. A student may be good in expressing his thought on paper and others may not be the same.
To conclude, although it helps us prepare for life and improve our fighting spirit, there several adverse effects such as health hazards associated with it.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Children Have More And More Tests And Exams At School | What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Making Children Do Exams | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Advantages And Disadvantages Of Teaching Children At Home And School
- Advantages And Disadvantages Of Part Time Jobs For Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about advantages and disadvantages of home appliances
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- Band 8 Essay Sample About Advantages And Disadvantages of Home Schooling And Regular Schooling
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events
- Band 7 essay sample | Advantages and disadvantages of working from home
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Fewer schools are requiring children to learn and improve their handwriting skills. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this trend?
- Band 9 essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computers