Universities should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing samples? Get your IELTS essays, letter and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
There is a noticeable difference in the number of male and female students at universities. Some people believe it is necessary that there should be an equal number of male and female students in every course / class, while there are many who are against this idea due to a number of reasons. I disagree with the proposition that universities should accept equal number of boys and girls because merit and aptitude should be given more importance than gender.
The whole idea of equal number of men and women in every field is illogical. To start with, all universities should accept people based on merit and not gender. While the idea of having equal number of men and women may seem to empower women, there can be a situation where women are admitted to universities in spite of lacking what it takes to finish the course. If the seats are reserved based on gender, many meritorious students might not get admission. Thus, we can see how absurd the idea is of admitting equal number of men and women.
Just like merit, aptitude is another thing that should be considered while admitting students into a course. Studies have shown that some fields are popular among women than men. For example, courses like nursing, home science have more female applicants. If the seats are reserved equally for both genders, universities might not be able to fill all the seats due to fewer applicants of one gender. This could be disastrous for education system overall.
In conclusion, gender based reservation of seats at university is a bad idea because equality cannot be promoted at the expense of merit. Since universities are the places for learning, the most meritorious students should be the ones getting admission.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Universities Should Accept Equal Number Of Male And Female Students In Each Subject | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- World history suggests that violence and conflict were more evident under male leadership than under female leadership
- Band 9 essay sample | Some managerial positions should be reserved for female employees
- Universities Should Support Students Who Come From Disadvantaged Backgrounds | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Some Schools And Universities, Girls Tend To Choose Arts Subjects And Boys Tend To Choose Science Subjects | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Everybody should be allowed admission to university study programs regardless of their academic ability | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- Some People Believe That Women Should Play An Equal Role As Men In A Country’s Police Or Military Force | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS report sample
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Girls Choose Arts And Boys Choose Science At University
- There Is Far More Attention On Men’s Sports Than Women’s Sport | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample