Today, TV Channels Provide Man’s Sports Show More Than Women’s Sport Show | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
Today, TV channels provide man’s sport show more than women’s sport show. Why? Should TV channel give equal time for women’s sport and men’s sport?
Here is a band 7 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
Nowadays there is an imbalance in the proportion of television shows on men’s sport and women’s sport. Significantly more time is dedicated to showing men’s sports than women’s sport. In this essay, I will speculate the reasons behind the phenomenon and argue that television should allocate equal time to show both male and female sports.
Allocating more screen time for men’s sport than women’s sport can be explained by gender stereotype. When people think of sports, words such as strength, muscularity and agility will come up in their minds and those words are typically associated with men. Consequently, some people still hold the belief that some sports are limited to men and are not suitable for women. For example, Chinese people insist that women should be gentle, modest and tender and should not be involved in brutal sports such as hockey and football. When fewer women participate in various sports, there are fewer events to show on TV.
I believe that television should allocate the same amount of time to show both genders’ sports) Firstly, this will help in overcoming gender stereotype. When exposed to more women’s sports, people will gradually change their perceptions that women are always weaker than men and realize that they are capable of playing sports as well as men. It helps to promote an equal stance of men and women. Secondly, it also helps to promote a healthy message to the public. Exposure on television channels is the key to heightening people’s awareness of the health benefits of good health. Since television has a large audience reach, it will motivate more people, particularly women to exercise and thus improve their health.
Uneven distribution of screen time for men’s sport and women’s sport can be attributed to gender stereotype. To break age old beliefs and encourage people to exercise, equal time should be given for showing both genders’ sport activities on television.
- There Is Far More Attention On Men’s Sports Than Women’s Sport | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- Some People Say That The Best Way To Improve Public Health Is By Increasing The Number Of Sports Facilities | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports is a waste of time
- Universities Should Accept Equal Numbers Of Male And Female Students In Every Subject | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Some managerial positions should be reserved for female employees
- Some People Believe That Olympic Games Do Not Belong To The 21st Century Anymore | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Building more sports facilities is the best way to improve public health
- With An Increasing Overweight Population Some Think Universities Should Make Sport A Compulsory Module On All Degree Courses | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample: Should sports be taught at school?