These Days, People Work In More Than One Job, And Often Change Career Several Times | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
These days, people work in more than one job, and often change career several times during their life. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this? Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
With the dawn of the modern era, working practices of people have changed. While in the past, most people stayed in one career path, today they often work multiple jobs as well as switch career lines many times. In my opinion, this practice has both pros and cons. I believe it is better to stay in one job / better to pursue one career, but both aspects will be discussed in brief in this essay.
On the up side, greater exposure to various industries allows workers to acquire more experience and skills which prove very useful. It allows them to progress quickly in their careers because more opportunities are available to them. In addition, they are more likely to be successful because of their vast experience and knowledge. Another reason for changing careers and working two or more jobs is that employees can earn more/higher salaries to enjoy a better standard of living. Furthermore, workers want to settle in the job role which gives them the greatest sense of satisfaction and this might require them to change jobs multiple times before they can find the right one.
On the down side, people who work multiple jobs are more likely to get stressed, overworked and depressed. This has detrimental effects on their physical as well as mental health. Changing jobs too often can also de-track young minds, making them lose sight of their career goal / objective. In this way, they can lose passion which ultimately leads to job dissatisfaction. Moreover, these practices make it harder to progress in a single career line and thus, it gets harder to attain senior and executive positions.
To summarize, there are both merits and demerits to working multiple jobs and changing jobs frequently. However, in my opinion, it is best to pursue a single job in a certain career path to achieve one’s professional/career goals. In addition to being healthier, this practice is better because it enables us to achieve more success in the long term, by becoming experts in a particular field.
- These Days People Change Careers Several Times During Their Life | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People These Days Change Career Throughout Their Working Life | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- These Days, People Work In More Than One Job | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Idea Of Having A Single Career Is Becoming Old Fashioned | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Idea Of Having A Single Career Is Becoming An Old Fashioned One | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Work For The Same Organisation All Their Working Life | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Some People Think That Students Should Go To University To Improve Their Career Prospects
- The Things You Should Know About Career Coaching
- Some Employers Want To Be Able To Contact Their Staff At All Times | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Few People Have A Hobby These Days