There is an increasing trend around the world of married couples deciding not to have children. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for couples who decide to do this.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
An increasing number of couples around the world are taking the decision not to have kids. In my opinion, childless couples can have a more financially stable life; however, they may face many problems when they reach their retirement age.
The foremost benefit of not having children is the availability of disposable income. The cost of raising a child has surged during the last few decades and it has become very difficult to manage the school fees, healthcare costs & other expenses related to kids. Without the responsibility of children, couples can have more financial freedom. A research paper published in the Wall Street Journal reported that American couples without kids had 60% more savings than those who had at least one or more kids to raise.
However, there are also a few drawbacks to this trend. The most significant problem is that when the couples grow old, they lack the emotional and financial support. It is very common that the kids support their old parents financially and spend time taking care of them. Such assistance is not available to the people who decide to live their lives without children. It impacts the satisfaction and happiness of these people. For instance, a survey carried out by Harvard University claimed that the Americans living without children are 65% more likely to face depression and anxiety.
In conclusion, although the lack of kids can provide an opportunity to have more financial savings, there are negative consequences. Couples without children tend to have less satisfied life after the retirement age because there is nobody to take care of them.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- In Many Western Countries There Are An Increasing Number Of Couples Choosing To Have No Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Many Countries Couples Decide To Have A Child At An Advanced Age | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- People Get Married And Have Children After The Age Of 30 | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays People Get Married And Have Children After The Age Of 30 | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS sample essay: Why do couples delay parenthood?
- It Is Sometimes Said That People Should Be Encouraged To Get Married Before They Turn 30 | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Obesity Is Increasing Among Children
- Band 8 essay sample | When both parents work how are children affected?
- Problems Like Juvenile Delinquency Arise From The Fact That Many Married Woman Now Work And Are Not At Home To Care For Their Children | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Average Life Expectancy Is Increasing For Both Men And Women | Is This A Positive Development