The World Today Is A Safer Place Than It Was A Hundred Years Ago | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
The world today is a safer place than it was a hundred years ago, and governments should stop spending large amounts of money on their armed forces. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Because there were no major wars in the last 70 years or so, people have started debating whether governments should invest a great deal of funds on defense or not. Some people argue that globalization and technological advances have made the world a safer place, while others opine that we are more vulnerable than ever before. I am of the latter view, and thus disagree with the given statement. Reasons for this will be presented in the following paragraphs.
On the one hand, armed forces are highly equipped / advanced today, with immensely accurate computer software and defense systems. These can detect hostile aircrafts, missiles and submarines with extreme precision, and target them accordingly. Moreover, intelligence analysts can predict criminal and terrorist events before they occur, and therefore, it becomes easier to prevent them from happening. So, obviously, some of the threats that we faced in the last century no longer exist.
On the other hand, safety is a basic necessity, and its significance cannot be overlooked. It is the government’s responsibility to make their country a safe place, so they can never let their guard down. This is why we need continuous research and development in the defense sector, which requires a lot of funding. It is also essential to provide better training to members of the armed forces, as it is unwise to rely solely on computers for security. With increasing incidences of terrorism happening in today’s world more than ever before, it is imperative to invest in our armed forces to counter these occurrences. If more attention had been paid to this matter, it would have been possible to avert / prevent the terrorist attacks of September 2001.
In conclusion, I believe that today more than ever before, we need better safety and defense systems. The armed forces play a crucial role in accomplishing this and hence they need to be given the best possible facilities and training. Therefore, it is vital that governments spend enough funds on this sector to make this possible.
- IELTS essay sample | Should women join armed forces?
- Countries Around The World Will Be Facing Significant Challenges In The Next Ten Years | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Government’s Investment In Arts, Music And Theatre Is A Waste Of Money | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In The Developed World, Average Life Expectancy Is Increasing | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Government Should Increase Defence Spending To Protect People
- Band 9 essay sample | People are not feeling safe at home or in public places
- Some People Believe That It Is Good To Share As Much Information As Possible In Scientific Research, Business And Academic World | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Life Is Now Better Than It Was 100 Years Ago | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Science Will Soon Make People Live Up To 100 Or 200 Years | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Recent Years, There Has Been A Rise In The Popularity Of Second-hand Clothing | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample