The Recent Popularity Of Online Shopping Will Result In The End Of High Street Shops | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
The recent popularity of online shopping will result in the end of high street shops. To what extent do you agree or disagree.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Some people argue that online shopping is getting more and more popular nowadays and the brick and mortar shops are no longer relevant. However, I disagree with that argument. Although high street shops now are not as popular as they were in the past, they are still needed for many reasons.
It is undeniably true that online shopping has significantly impacted the business of street shops negatively. Alibaba, for instance, has become the most popular online shopping platform in the world. The company recently hit $100 billion in revenue) and became one of the largest establishments in the world. This is because e-commerce is so convenient that everything that we need to buy is just one click away, and the item will be delivered to our door step. However, the disadvantage of buying things online is that it may get very disappointing when the products delivered do not meet our expectation. As a result, we will have to return it through courier service, and this will become very time consuming. Hence, this channel is not suitable for items that are needed urgently.
By contrast, when we buy from a highway store we can check the quality of the product in person and thus ensure that it meets our requirements. For example, some buyers prefer to touch the products before purchasing them. This is especially true when those are luxury goods as they need to ensure that the items are free of defect before paying for them. Also, when we buy from an actual store, we can take the products home immediately. But when we buy online we may have to wait days or even weeks before the product to arrive. High street shops also serve as a place to hang out with friends or family.
In conclusion, although online shopping has threatened the survival of brick and mortar stores, I believe that they will not close down because there are still many people who want to physically check the quality of the product before making the purchase. Also, online shopping is not suitable if we need the product immediately.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar? Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Band 6.5 essay samples: Online shopping has become more popular than in-store shopping
- In Recent Years Many Local Shops Have Closed Because Customers Travel To Large Shopping Malls | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping
- Topic card: Talk about online shopping
- Some People Have The Opinion That Big Shopping Malls Are Expensive Places As They Charge Higher Prices For Products | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- People Write Product Reviews And Opinions About Services Online | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Shopping Has Become More And More Popular As a Leisure Activity
- Shopping Has Become More And More Popular As A Leisure Activity | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays Online Education Has Become Popular As More Institutes And Companies Are Offering Courses Online | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about supermarkets and small shops