The Main Purpose Of Public Libraries Is To Provide Books, And They Should Not Provide Hi-tech Computer Software Or Videos | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
The main purpose of public libraries is to provide books, and they should not waste their limited resources and space on providing expensive hi-tech media such as computer software, videos and DVDs. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
The importance of public libraries is undeniable. While some people argue that libraries should be more focused on stocking printed books and materials than investing in digital resources, in this essay, I would argue why availability of digital media is crucial in libraries used by general public.
First of all, the last few decades have seen dramatic growth in the use of digital media such as electronic books, learning software and other audio-visual learning and reading materials. This is because these resources are not only easy to carry but also convenient to learn from / to use in many innovative ways. For example, there are many free websites on the Internet which provide free video lectures for better understanding of a topic. If there are only hard bound books in the stacks and they do not provide these resources, they will become unattractive to general public. As a result, the significance of libraries itself may become questionable.
More importantly, modern generation is time poor and they want to access everything quickly including knowledge, which printed books may not always be capable of providing. This is because the growing competition and advanced life style demand more skills and knowledge in a very short time. For instance, youngster might prefer to listen to the summary of a book converted to the form of a video rather than reading full text. Moreover, important part of digital resources may be emailed to personal devices with the permission of the library, and the same may be accessed later anywhere.
To conclude, although printed books will never lose their importance, the new generation / the young generation is moving towards digital information and learning. In my opinion, I would prefer to access digital and attractive video content in a public library instead of going through lengthy printed text.
- The Main Purpose Of Public Libraries Is To Provide Books, And They Should Not Waste Their Limited Resources On Videos And CDs | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Maintaining Public Libraries Is A Waste Of Time Since Computer Technology Is Replacing Their Functions | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Public libraries are no longer required
- Band 8 Essay: Public libraries are no longer required because of the internet
- Some People Think That Public Libraries Are No Longer Important | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Libraries Are No Longer Important | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Maintenance Of Public Libraries Is A Waste Of Money | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- University Libraries Should Focus on eBooks Only Instead Of Paper Based Books | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Number Of Books Borrowed From Four Libraries | Task 1 Academic IELTS Report
- Band 8 essay sample | Libraries are no longer required