The Government’s Investment In Arts, Music And Theatre Is A Waste Of Money | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
The government’s investment in arts, music and theatre is a waste of money. Governments should invest these funds in public services instead. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Some people assert that governments should work their best to provide us with necessary public services, and that this should be their priority. Others argue that investments in cultural and leisurely pursuits such as arts and theatre are equally important / are just as important. Although it makes sense to utilize maximum funds for basic public needs, I believe that governments should spare a certain share of their budgets to promote art and culture.
It seems just that taxpayers want their taxes to contribute towards vital services/sectors, such as healthcare, defense and education systems. This is justifiable because these sectors play a crucial role in improving the living standards of people. Moreover, better facilities of housing, public transport, and infrastructure assist us more in our daily/everyday life than arts and music. This is true, especially in the case of developing nations, with limited national budgets.
Nevertheless, the significance of art, theatre and music cannot be ignored. These attract a lot of public as well as tourist interest and thus can serve as sources of income. In addition, events and activities held at these centers are representations/reflections of our cultural heritage. Furthermore, they provide good opportunities for people to socialize and for young artists to promote their talent. In this way, they create more job opportunities, as well as act as stress relievers for busy bodies. For example, the recent economic boom in Dubai can be attributed to the major investment in its tourist attractions like malls, amusement parks, and heritage centers where these activities are widely promoted.
To recapitulate, I believe that the government should give prime importance to public services. However, recreational and artistic development should not be ignored, as it can take our progress as a nation to the next level.
- The Government Investment In Arts, Music And Theatre Is A Waste Of Time | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Government Investment In The Arts Is A Waste Of Money | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Argue That Arts Are A Waste Of Money | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Government should stop wasting money on arts
- Some People Think That The Government Is Wasting Money On Arts | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Should Governments Support Art And Artists?
- Should Government Spend Money On Arts When They Have So Many Other Important Issues | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people think that the government is wasting money on the arts and this money could be better spent elsewhere
- The Government Is Wasting Money On Arts And This Money Could Be Better Spent Elsewhere | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That The Government Is Wasting Money On Arts | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample